Ube cake with leche flan is a marriage of two Filipino dessert favorites, resulting in a delightful blend of vibrant purple yam and silky caramelized custard. This heavenly dessert combines the unique flavor of ube and the lusciousness of leche flan, creating an elegant and indulgent treat. In this blog, we’ll guide you through the steps to create a Ube Cake with Leche Flan that will surely dazzle your taste buds.
For the Ube Cake:
– 2 cups ube (purple yam), grated and cooked
– 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
– 1 cup granulated sugar
– 3 large eggs
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1/2 cup whole milk
For the Leche Flan:
– 6 egg yolks
– 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
– 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For Caramelizing the Leche Flan Mold:
– 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1. Prepare the Ube Cake Batter:
– In a mixing bowl, whisk together the grated and cooked ube, flour, baking powder, and salt until well combined. Set aside.
2. Preheat and Prepare:
– Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and line a round cake pan for the Ube Cake.
3. Cream Butter and Sugar:
– In a separate large bowl, cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Incorporate Eggs and Vanilla:
– Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla extract.
5. Combine Dry and Wet Ingredients:
– Gradually add the dry ube mixture to the wet ingredients, alternating with the whole milk. Mix until well combined.
6. Pour and Bake:
– Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool.
7. Prepare the Leche Flan Mixture:
– In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, and vanilla extract until smooth.
8. Caramelize the Mold:
– In a saucepan, melt the 1/2 cup granulated sugar over low heat until it turns into a caramel syrup. Pour the caramel into the leche flan mold, coating the bottom evenly.
9. Add the Leche Flan Mixture:
– Gently pour the leche flan mixture into the caramel-coated mold.
10. Bake the Leche Flan:
– Cover the mold with aluminum foil and steam or bake the leche flan in a water bath for about 45-50 minutes or until set. Allow it to cool and refrigerate to chill.
11. Assemble the Ube Cake with Leche Flan:
– Carefully invert the leche flan onto a serving platter. Place the ube cake on top of the leche flan.
12. Serve and Enjoy:
– Slice and serve this delightful Ube Cake with Leche Flan, showcasing the gorgeous layers and flavors of both desserts.
Indulge in the magical fusion of flavors and textures with this Ube Cake with Leche Flan. The sweetness of the leche flan pairs beautifully with the earthy, purple goodness of ube, creating a dessert that’s both elegant and delicious. Embrace this Filipino-inspired treat, and let your taste buds revel in the sweetness of this delightful concoction. Happy baking and savoring!