Hopia, a beloved pastry in the Philippines, comes in various flavors and fillings. Among the favorites is the delectable Chocolate Fudge Hopia. This sweet treat combines the flaky, slightly sweet pastry crust of hopia with a rich, creamy chocolate filling. If you’re a fan of both chocolate and hopia, making the perfect Chocolate Fudge Hopia at home is a delightful culinary adventure. In this blog, we’ll guide you through the steps to create your own batch of these mouthwatering pastries.
For the Chocolate Fudge Filling:
1. 1 cup chocolate chips (semi-sweet or dark, based on your preference)
2. 1/4 cup condensed milk
3. 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
4. 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Steps to Create Chocolate Fudge Hopia
1. Preparing the Pastry Dough:
– In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt.
– Gradually add the vegetable oil and water while stirring until the mixture comes together.
– Knead the dough until it becomes smooth and pliable.
– Divide the dough into equal portions (depending on how many pieces of hopia you want to make).
2. Making the Chocolate Fudge Filling:
– In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate chips, condensed milk, and butter.
– Heat the mixture in 20-second intervals, stirring each time, until the chocolate and butter are fully melted and the mixture is smooth. – Stir in the vanilla extract.
– Allow the filling to cool to room temperature.
3. Assembling the Chocolate Fudge Hopia:
– Take a portion of the pastry dough and roll it into a thin, flat circle (about 3-4 inches in diameter).
– Place a spoonful of the chocolate fudge filling in the center of the dough.
– Fold the edges of the dough over the filling to encase it completely.
– Roll the filled dough into a ball and place it seam-side down on a baking sheet.
– Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
– Brush the tops of the hopia with a little egg wash (1 egg yolk mixed with a tablespoon of water).
– Bake the hopia for 20-25 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
– Allow the Chocolate Fudge Hopia to cool before serving.
– Enjoy your homemade hopia with a cup of coffee or tea!
Tips for Perfection:
– Work quickly when assembling the hopia to prevent the dough from drying out.
– If you prefer a softer crust, you can brush the baked hopia with a little sugar water (dissolve sugar in water) immediately after taking them out of the oven.
– Experiment with different chocolate types for your filling to suit your taste, from dark to semi-sweet or even white chocolate.
Crafting the perfect Chocolate Fudge Hopia is a delightful and rewarding experience. Whether you’re making them for a special occasion or just to satisfy your sweet tooth, these homemade treats are sure to impress and leave you craving for more. So, gather your ingredients, roll up your sleeves, and embark on a journey to create the perfect chocolatey, flaky hopia delight!